Some doctors are so totally different from other doctors.
Some have great personalities
While others really have crappy ones and no bedside manner at all.
My surgeon-- has always taken time to talk about things and how I felt about them. When he sent me over to see the oncologist - Dr. Wade he said he was going to be gone for two weeks anyway. So we would not be able to do anything till he got back.
When Dr. Wade came into the room and introductions were made. He remarked that he had been over my files and I had hundreds and hundreds of pictures on my file.
History---from back as far as 1978 ....once a year and sometimes twice or three times a year. Therefore, I am sure he did have hundreds of photos (Mammograms) to review.
He stated that I was sent to him for additional evaluation from Dr. Birk due to family history.
That is when I reached into my purse and pulled out this photo:
And told him, Well, take this lady in the center and add her history to mine and you have family history also. He took the photo and said "Sovilla Lee, She was a very special lady, I didn't know she was your sister. I would never have taken her to be your sister."
I had not told him her last name....Her name was on my family history form that I had filled out, but I had only used her first name, not her full name. She went home to be with the Lord in January 2005 and he still knew her by name. That told me what kind of a doctor he really was. One that really cares about his patients. He went across all my history and over in the other chair LeAnn his NP sat writing her little notes in her book. Then he wanted to do his own examination.
Everybody left the room and the wonderful gowns (tho this one was not paper, it was cloth) was given to me to use. After his through examination...... He and LeAnn came back in to speak to me alone before they brought Bud back in...... He explained what my options would be discussing the trial meds that could be used. What my ratio was that within the next five years the cells that were in my breasts would turn into cancer. We spoke of what they would do if they did a mastectomy. And I ask what my risk factor would be then. It dropped from about 50% to 1%. I turned my head looking dead within his eyes and said, "Well that's a no brainer. Why would I want to try the meds with all the side effects and still be at a higher risk if it reduces my risk to 1% to simply get rid of those bad cells?" He did agree with me and told me he would write Dr. Birk a letter telling him what we felt was the best treatment plan for us to go with.
He was in the area just outside the door when I left the room and he walked up next to me and put his arm around my waist and pulled me into a hug, telling me to hang in there.
I know I will have my days when I will be down. But, do try and look at the brighter side of things when at all possible. I know God already knows the outcome, and he has a plan for me and for my life.
I believe having a almost 2 year old granddaughter and another grandchild on the way motivates me to do what I know I need to do, so that I shall have lots of years with them.

3 comments:
You are strong...you are brave...you are beautiful! And you are going to make it through all of this by God's grace and a lot of prayers! I know I will be praying for you during this journey Verna!
(What a nice doctor!)
Love, Linda
We will get thru this...even if it means you have to come live with us for your daily dose of Kenley sunshine and kisses. She makes everything better! Although she may try to make you wear Sesame Street bandaids on your owies..that's all the rage right now!!
Thank you Linda, I know that I can feel the prayers and support from all my friends and family. Kimberly, it is Kenley' s face I see images of that makes me know that I truly need to do this so I can enjoy her company longer. Her hugs and kisses and "love you grandma"atte all so previous to me!!
Post a Comment