Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Rooster's Head Ache


Joining Lynenette Kraft at Walking Down Memory Lane. See more memories by clicking on her button above.

THAT ROOSTER HAS GOT TO HAVE A HEAD ACHE!


No photos today, you will simply have to visualize it in your minds.
As a young child we had chickens, rabbits, cows, and geese on the farm.
The boys (who were older then I ) were responsible to help with the cows and take care of the rabbits. (Which we raised for food). Yes, we ate Peter Cotton Tail for Sunday lunch.

Being one of many children (I am # 8 of 9) we all had our chores to do to help.
However, the geese had a tendency to bite. And if you have ever been bitten by a goose or gander you know it hurts like crazy.

My responsibility was gathering the eggs and helping care for the chickens. But the geese were out there too, so I would carry with me a old broom stick. Kinda like a cane - Just in case I needed to use it. Just to scare the geese away.

Well, What I didn't know is that the boys had been teasing the rooster. So,
Off I go to gather the eggs, egg basket/bucket in hand toting my broom stick in the other one.

Just outside the yard gate in the chicken area, WELL, MR. ROOSTER decided he didn't want me crossing his area, HERE HE COMES..... Flapping his wings, and yep he got me. My adrenalin must have kicked in and upset me, because after the flopping he gave me I felt like I had enough of that.

YOU GOT IT!!!

Broom stick came in handy.... I Swung that broom stick at him. Trying to scare him away. He kept coming back so I swung it again this time I hit him in the neck. He did a flip over --stumbled--shook his head and OH- My I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO DIE.


HOW WAS I EVER GOING TO TELL MOM AND DAD THAT I KILLED THE ROOSTER WITH THE BROOM STICK?

He stumbled the other way shaking his head trying to gain his composure, and I dashed back on the other side of the gate. Putting the fence between the rooster and myself--OF COURSE I WAS CRYING---- After all The rooster had just spanked my bottom. And I thought he was going to die because I hit him with my broom stick.

RESULTS: The rooster lived. But, Dad said since the boys were the ones that teased the rooster and made him mad all the time, they could now also gather the eggs.

SO -- I KNOW THAT ROOSTER HAD TO HAVE HAD A HEAD ACHE!!!!

5 comments:

Sherri said...

What a fun walk down memory lane. Thanks for sharing!

Dee said...

LOL!! Great story!! :)

Paula said...

Thanks for visiting me. I loved your story...

Unknown said...

Verna, I love visiting your blog. I COULD picture it all and was laughing - I'm sorry, it's pitiful to laugh at a girl who had just been attacked by a rooster, but I couldn't help myself (I should be more sensitive because I've been attacked too!).

Thanks for sharing - that Rooster deserved a headache!

Kaleena said...

Hi Verna,
I was going to email you but I couldn't find your email address on your profile. Please email it to me. Thanks!